Friday, July 01, 2016

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - Kennedy

The first time I read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling I was in first grade. I was still learning how to read, and every night before going to sleep I would read a chapter of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone with my dad. He would help me when I was confused by big words or complex grammar. At the age of six I did not understand the complicated themes and allusions, but I was enchanted by the fantasy world of adventure and magic that I could visit while I was reading. As I became a better reader, I was quickly able to read on my own and spent all of my free time reading. Through books I was able to go to other amazing worlds without ever leaving my own home. This love of books was inspired by Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, and if I hadn’t read it I would be a completely different person today.

When I wasn’t reading a book, I was running around in my backyard with my brother and friends. Even then, I was influenced by Harry Potter and other books I had read. With a little imagination we could become wizards and heroes fighting ogres and dragons like the characters in books. As a kid I was fascinated with the fantasy genre, and I was excited by every new spell and creature that was introduced in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

I read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone again in fifth grade, as I wanted to read the rest of the series and I did not remember the whole plot from reading it when I was six. The second time I read it I understood a lot more of the themes and plot. I felt I could relate to Harry’s situation, things like school, homework, and sports were all things I experienced in my everyday life. These everyday situations allowed me to relate to some of Harry’s problems and made it much easier to picture the world the characters lived in. Another thing that allowed me to relate easily picture the world that the characters were in was the imagery and detail that went into describing Hogwarts, the characters, and all aspects of the books. All of the characters were well developed and I was able to understand and empathize with both the main characters and many of the side characters.

Throughout the book there are morals and themes that are important for children to be exposed to. The power of love, the importance of humility, and the ability to choose your own future are all themes throughout Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, as well as the other Harry Potter books. One part that impacted me heavily was when Dumbledore and Harry were sitting in front of the Mirror of Erised, and Dumbledore told Harry not to dwell on dreams instead of focusing on his real life. After reading this I realized that I could not sit idly and think my dreams would fall into my lap, instead I must strive to make them happen by myself. This idea has changed my views on several aspects of my life, and is something I still think about today.

J.K. Rowling’s writing style and tone are informal and she uses simple diction that makes the book easy to read and understand. The book also has relatively simple themes and lacks complex literary techniques. While these are things that would feel childish and annoy me if I read it now, it is perfect for children, which is the book’s target audience.

One thing I find interesting looking back on Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and the other Harry Potter books is the theme that death is not bad but a necessary part of life. Voldemort is grotesque and evil because he is has tried to beat death. In his attempt to become immortal he has become something other than human. In contrast, when Harry’s mother sacrificed herself to save Harry, she was able to give him protection. Also, in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Harry is willing to sacrifice himself to save his friends.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is very good children’s book and I think it is a book all kids should read. I am very glad that I read it both in first and fifth grade as it has impacted me in many ways and it has helped me develop into the person I am today.

No comments: