Saturday, July 02, 2016

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe - Dell

It’s pretty easy to say that literature has been one of the defining features in my life. However, was hard to choose a book for this assignment, as plenty of the books I’ve read have had a great impact on my person. Novels such as Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley, The Little Princess, or Animal Farm come to mind. As for children’s literature, I can recite The Lorax almost entirely from memory, and of course being raised Christian Catholic meant the Bible played an important role in my childhood as well. However, I can honestly say there is one book I have read that has affected me the most, and that is the novel Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz.
My reasons for choosing this piece are both personal as well as massive spoilers, so I won’t go into them to deeply. Yet I can say that this book taught me about what it’s like to grow up and fall in love without even realizing it. Aside from its main plot, however, Sáenz’s novel includes many touching moments and descriptive commentary that I find very relatable and truthful. This book tells the truth of teenage years amplified by a feeling of difference and loneliness.
        Since I was thirteen I have been working through depression and anxiety issues, and this book is a great relation to my inept social problems. Not to mention the extreme teenage angst that comes with the young adult coming-of-age genre. However, the self-monologues and imagery perfectly capture emotions and feelings I thought were impossible to put into words. It reminds me of my favorite band, twenty øne piløts, as their music means the very same to me.
        It’s hard to describe exactly what this book means to me, as I don’t very much understand it myself, just as I don’t understand why I want to be an engineer. There was no defining moment, no realization, no nothing. I was pulled to it. In my heart and in my soul, I can feel pure love for this book. It is one of those pieces that will numb you, make you lie on your bed for an hour after finishing it, feeling nothing and almost crying but not quite. You don’t know what to feel. All you know is this book. So instead of drinking to stop the pain, I read.
        Just as the contents have power, the style with which they are written in amplifies the soul of it, As I have mentioned, Sáenz has a way of perfectly boxing one insane emotion into a single group of words. It amazes me that everything I feel can be represented by a simple pattern of letters and spaces. It’s pure poetry. This book is so effortlessly me, just everything I feel. The relatability is so accurate its almost frightening, so it is clearly plain to see why I have such a strong connection to it. In addition, I feel a very strong connection to the characters. Aristotle’s fearlessness and independence as well as Dante’s view of the world, innocence, and ability to make anything beautiful are all qualities I’ve wanted to have in myself. This novel inspires me to grow as a person and become someone gentle, yet fierce.

        Lastly, I can never seem to get tired of this book. I still don’t own it, but I have been listening to the audiobook. I first read it last summer, and it left me numb for a few days. It made me think about everything and view the world with Sáenz’s imprint now on it. I don’t really remember much from the time I read the book, but it changed me, and I haven’t been the same since. All I can say is: go read it. As confusing and jumbled I’m sure this essay was, the only way you can truly understand what I mean is if you read it yourself. Let it mean something to you, let it inspire you, hurt you, and make you as numb as a Novocain shot. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe is the most important book in my life and will remain for the longest time. Please trust me, it’s worth your time.

No comments: