Thursday, June 30, 2016

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - Jules Fenneuff

The most influential book in my life was most definitely Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, and the series following it. It took quite a bit of encouragement to get me to read it, however. I had loved reading ever since I could turn the pages of a book, but for some reason, I was not drawn to the colorful and exciting world of Harry Potter. My parents tried for ages to get me to read the books, but I turned my nose up at them every time. In all his efforts to get me to read the books, my dad had himself become interested in seeing what all the praise surrounding the book was about, and decided to purchase the book for himself. Of course I, being an avid reader, couldn’t resist a brand new book that I hadn’t read yet, and the rest was history.

The series was inviting and intriguing, and I couldn’t help getting drawn in. I identified with most of the characters and could see my own personality traits in all of them. J.K. Rowling managed to create characters that almost anyone could relate to in some way, even though most of their trials and tribulations in life had to do with the goings-on of the wizarding world. Despite the fact that the “main character” and hero of the series was the seemingly fearless Harry Potter, Rowling included many other hugely important characters that were all heroes in their own ways. She gave characters wit, loyalty, stubbornness, and much more, showing me that you didn’t have to be incredibly brave or smart to be a hero – you could simply be clever or know a lot about chess, and you would be able to help save the day. Another thing that I really enjoyed about J.K. Rowling’s characters in the Harry Potter series were the strong female characters. As a female, it seemed like a lot of the most important characters that I read about were males. However, the Harry Potter series Hogwarts was full of strong heroines such as Ginny Weasley, Professor McGonagall, Luna Lovegood, Mrs. Weasley, and of course Hermione Granger! As a young girl I was thrilled to read about the numerous female characters who helped to save the day in the world of Harry Potter.

I also loved Rowling’s writing style. When I was younger, most of the books that I read used the first person perspective. Rowling’s series was one of the fewer books that I read that used the third person, and I was very impressed that she was able to convey the emotions and thoughts of so many characters while not writing from the first person. In addition, I loved how she used words quite devoid of simple, basic words to tell her story, and her descriptions of places and characters were always so flawless and complete that to me, the places and characters were almost tangible.

If I tried to say that the Harry Potter didn’t completely take over most of my elementary school life, I’d be lying. Harry Potter shaped the way that I played with friends and what I did in my spare time. I had multiple Harry Potter-themed birthday parties. I made Harry Potter-inspired crafts, including my own wand. I made my own spell books and practiced spells with my sister. I made up my own stories for the characters in my head. Harry Potter inspired many conversations with my dad, and that was probably the most important (and coolest!) part of reading the series. My dad and I ended up reading the series together and it was nice to be able to talk to my dad about the books and have something in common with him.

The Harry Potter series taught me a lot when I was growing up. I learned about the value of friendship and staying true to one’s family. I learned about what it meant to make a sacrifice for the greater good and how doing something to help other people could make you feel better/make you benefit more than if you had just done something to help yourself in the first place. Harry Potter taught me many valuable lessons and for that I am grateful.


No comments: