Sunday, July 24, 2016

Week 5 Explanation

This week’s blog topic asks you to relate themes, topics, and situations in summer reading to current political or societal events, issues, or topics. The possible issues you can discuss are broad, ranging from dealing with Alzheimer’s to the political situation in Zimbabwe. I only ask that you avoid using “I think” or “I believe” or “I” anything -- use third-person point of view. Just state your opinions as fact. And keep the discussions tasteful.

The book you use should be new to the blog posting. Please write solely in THIRD PERSON and use some quotes (citing them properly).

When you write for this assignment (and most of the others) keep the following general guidelines and possibilities in mind: 1). DO NOT SUMMARIZE. I don’t care if I haven’t read your book; I’m not asking for the plot. 2). Pay attention to your content, ideas, and organization as you structure your post. 3). Certainly mention the book title (use italics to set it off) and author. The title of the post should contain the title of the book and your last name, like in the example that follows these directions 4). Deal with other issues that are interesting, novel, and intellectual yet still relate to the general topic of the post.

Try to have a good time. Remember internet safety protocols: don’t use your entire name or give away identifying information. You should probably change your display name if you’re using your real name. Be tactful and don’t disparage anyone. You are graded on the quality of thought and expression in your post, its length (between 700 - 1000 words), and on using quoted material properly. I suggest writing the post in a word processing program and then pasting it into the post window. Contact me if you have any questions and I’ll answer ASAP. The following example is not a strict template of what you should do but only a possibility, and a poor one at that. Off we go then…

No comments: