Saturday, July 16, 2016

The Kite Runner, Wescott

Lifeless Trophy
The shapes above with speed they dart so fast
The sea of color in the sky no more
A single kite is triumphant at last
I’m filled with pride, the blast of chants they roar

The chase for the trophy ensues with speed
The best day in my life is almost real
Turn the corner to find a friend in need
I run away despite the choice I feel

I hear the screams inside my head each day
Regret putting myself before my kin
Now with a prize that is so great they say
But lost a part of me, my pride within

On the outside it is a win with glee
Inside I feel alone, helpless, not me


This Sonnet tells the event that occurred during Amir’s win at the kite fighting tournament in The Kite Runner.  The first quatrain is uplifting as Amir’s become victorious over the other kites.  The second quatrain transitions from one of his greatest moments in his life into the one he most regrets, not saving Hassan in the alley.  This was a major event in the book and changed Amir’s character drastically.  Amir can never let it go as mentioned in the first line of the third quatrain.  Even though all of his friends and family are so proud of him, all Amir feels is regret for his actions that day.


Looking
Into the city I am looking for something
Will I find it?
I’m looking for a boy
I want to go back
But I have to find it
So I can finally sleep a night
The daunting memories of the past
Lead me here
I am frightened
A sudden pain fills me
Along with the peace I desired
I can finally sleep once again

This free verse poem is describing Amir (in his point of view) searching for Hassan’s son in Kabul.  I wanted to make the poem very abstract and not follow any rhythm because this was a moment in the book where Amir believed he was looking for the boy, when in reality he was looking for a way to make up his mistake that has troubled him all his life (this is how I perceived it).  The poem say “will I find it”, making it seem like “the boy” at first but it end up being at peace with himself.  The pain (Asself beating him) allows Amir to receive the punishment for leaving Hassan in the alley, which causes him to finally be free from the resentment and recollection of the event.

Baba
I have looked up to you since I was little
You are so strong while I am so brittle
You are outgoing and help those in need
While am quiet and turn when they plead

I know you are disappointed in me
How mom died giving birth to your first baby
But please give me a chance, my love for you is vast
With the win I got your love, but that didn’t last

I get jealous when you put Hassan over me
I’m not as weak as you think, wait one day you’ll see
Our world is changing, we can start a new life
Where we can agree instead of having a strife

We are in a new place and can finally say
We understand one another today
And when I finally lay you to rest one night
I can remember how we made everything right

This final poem is another free verse that has rhyming and a structure.  It shows the relationship between Amir and his father (who he called Baba).  Their relationship started out with Baba being disappointed in Amir, in part for all their differences and because Amir killed his wife while giving birth to him.  This causes Baba to give more attention to Hassan, who has a character similar to Baba’s.  However, once the two move to America, they are able to settle their differences and finally create a healthy relationship between them.  This moment in the book meant a lot to me as I could sympathize with Amir.  Even if a relationship has hardships, they can be resolved as long as there is love.

No comments: