Friday, July 15, 2016

The Color Purple - Maddie Dickens

Dear, God
Dear, God

I am Dark and Twisty.
Bleak and Weak.
Quiet and Shaken.

Yet I am also Bright and Easy-going.
Colorful and Strong.
Loud and Confident.

No one knows me,
but they all think they do.
I'm bullied and pushed,
while they think I can't fight back.

But I'm to blame for this, not them.
I don't fight back, I surrender.
I fear those who have power over me.
But I'm to blame for giving them power, not them.

Dear, God

Teach me how to fight back,
how to conquer my fear.
Teach me how to stay true,
while fighting back.

I need to be bigger,
I need to be stronger.
For myself, and for you.
To honor myself, and to honor you.

Dear, God

Teach me how to be better, for you.

-The book, The Color Purple, is written as many journal entries, and nearly all of them are addressed to God. She tells him of her day and her emotional battles and struggles while living her life and gets battered and bruised.

How come
How come Mr. doesn't respect me and doesn't seem to want me,
how come he wants me for all the wrong reasons
I deserve to be wanted and loved,
but I don't believe it.

How come I don't get to live life the way I want to,
how come Mr. want me to live the way he wants and not how I want to.
I deserve to live my life,
but I don't believe it.

How come I can't stand up for myself,
how come Mr. wants to keep me pinned down.
I deserve to be confident,
but I don't believe it.

How come I can't be myself, and be normal,
how do I believe in myself and grow great and strong like Mr.
I deserve to stand tall,
but I don't believe it.

How come I don't believe in myself.

-Throughout the book, the main character battles herself and her husband while trying to pave her own way through life and stand up for herself. She tries to find strength and continues to battle internal conflict with herself.

I want to see, I want to feel
I want to see, I want to feel
I want to see the happy faces, I want to feel happiness
I want to see families happily together, I want to feel the love
I need to see this, I need to feel this

I want to hear, I want to feel
I want to hear the birds chirping on a warm, summer day with no worries
I want to feel the warmth on this warm summer day
I need to hear this, I want to hear this

I want to touch, I want to feel
I want to touch the hands of my children and hold them tight
I want to feel my children's happiness as I hold them tight and love them
I want to touch this, I need to feel this

I want to smell, I want to feel
I want to smell the beautiful lilacs and wildflowers of a hidden meadow
I want to feel the winds coursing through and between the flowers and its power
I need to smell this, I need to feel this

I want to taste, I want to feel
I want to taste the freshly baked pastries from the bakery in town
I want to feel the sweet sugar in my veins giving me life within
I need to taste this, I want to feel this.

I see resentment and greed
I feel hared and pain

I hear slander and negativity
I feel fear and shyness

I touch rough hands and crumbling walls
I feel aggression and depression

I smell sweat and blood
I feel exhaustion and exasperation

I taste bland and dry
I feel wasted and plain

I see, hear, touch, smell, and taste hate
I feel hate

I want to see, hear, touch, smell, and taste love
I want to feel love

-In the book, The Color Purple, several references are made by the author Alice Walker about how she doesn't see or hear or touch or feel things, while instead she witnesses negativity. She wants to witness something other than hate ad negativity, love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maddie! First off, I want to compliment you on your poetry skills which are outstanding! I thoroughly enjoyed reading through this post, and actually did so more than once. I also did my poems on “The Color Purple” by Alice Walker, because I felt that the book itself had an almost poetic feel to it. We both touched on the same topics in our poems having to do with race, religion, and treatment of women. It really made me relate to your post a lot and I think your poems showed a true understanding of the topics in the book. Your first poem titled “Dear God,” was my favorite. I like how you structured it in the same way of the book. God is such a big part of this book and Celie’s existence. Her relationship with Mr. ___ was also a big part of her behavior, as well as with Sophia and Shug. The influence that those three characters had on her came out in your second poem as well. I think the fact that you touched on how those three made her want to be stronger and able to stand up for herself and for God was really important. I’m glad that you included that piece as well. Overall, your poems were great and offered good insight and understanding of the main topics in the book. Great Job!