Saturday, July 09, 2016

The Color Purple - Ozbun

As someone who has used SparkNotes many times, I had never thought to question its accuracy or that its analysis may be faulty. Therefore, for this assignment, I took a new approach to reading and analyzing The Color People by Alice Walker. I made sure to take detailed notes often, and formed specific opinions on various characters and plot points. Then, when the time came to compare what I’d written with SparkNotes, I made sure to always consider the possibility that the word of SparkNotes is not law, and a difference in opinion or difference in understanding may be beneficial to me as a reader.

First, I disagree with SparkNotes discussion of the most important aspect of the book which sets it apart from many other novels, which is that the story is told entirely through letters written by Celie, the main character, and Nettie, her sister. SparkNotes claims that the purpose of telling the story in this fashion is to “emphasize the power of communication” (SparkNotes). However, I reached a very different conclusion. I believe that the reason the author chose to write through letters was to emphasize the difficulties the narrator's faced, specifically Celie. By making letter writing her only source of communication, Walker intended the letters to symbolize Celie’s cultural disadvantage, as if she was not able to simply narrate the story because of her low social status, and was thus forced to write letters to God. In addition, SparkNotes states “Both sisters gain strength from their letter writing, but they are saved only when they receive responses to their letters” (SparkNotes). I also disagree with this conclusion, because I believe the letters Celie wrote to God were the most powerful and influential of all, despite the fact that they did not receive a response. This is because the letters provided a sanctuary for the girls, where they could truly express themselves, and whether there is a response or not has no affect on their ability to express themselves freely. If anything, I think that the letters were more beneficial for Celie when there was no response, because she was able to freely talk to God and not have to worry or wonder at what his reaction may be, as she did occasionally with Nettie. However, because Nettie’s situation is different from Celie’s because she wrote specifically expecting a reply, so SparkNotes analysis about the importance of an audience does apply to her.

A major theme found throughout the book is that of racism, but it is a topic that is barely even mentioned by SparkNotes. SparkNotes says “The characters are largely aware of the cyclical nature of harmful behavior. For instance, Sofia tells Eleanor Jane that societal influence makes it almost inevitable that her baby boy will grow up to be a racist” (SparkNotes). However, this is the only comment the website makes on the topic. On the other hand, I believe that racism was a hugely important theme throughout the story, and that it deserved much more discussion on SparkNotes. Throughout the book, many issues which arise as a product of racism are not seen as such by the characters, and apparently not by SparkNotes either. For example, early in the book when Alphonso is trying to convince Mr._____ to take Celie and marry her, he says that she is dumb in comparison to Nettie, and because she is not as smart as her sister she will not amount to anything in life and thus is only useful as a housewife. SparkNotes attributes this perception to sexism and Alphonso’s cruelty, but I believe racism is also a major factor. If not for the deep rooted racism in the South during this time which kept African Americans inferior and prevented them from achieving professional success in life, Alphonso’s perception of his daughter’s worth may be much improved. Similarly, Celie’s perception of herself would doubtless be very different if not for the racism she has always faced throughout her life.

In the past, I likely would never have questioned the validity of SparkNotes claims. However, after closely reading Alice Walker’s classic The Color People, I have come to realize that the resource I have used for many years is not perfect, and my own analysis often differs with it. However, my understanding of this book has been greatly improved through this process, and I intend to apply it to many other books I read throughout my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really related to your post, and came to several of the same conclusions as you did on the analysis of sparknotes. First off, I agree with your opinion that the “importance of communication” was not the only thing that the letter style of writing was meant to emphasise. However, I felt that the author’s purpose was also related to the employment of ethos in order to establish an emotional connection between the characters and the reader. By telling the story from Celie’s point of view, it is easier for readers like myself to feel empathetic towards her story and the challenges that she faces. On the other hand, I do see where both sparknotes and you came up with your conclusion on the purpose, as I’m sure the author did it for more than one reason.
In addition, I had similar feelings on the topic of racism. It’s almost like the story tiptoed around explicitly mentioning it on purpose. I too, feel that the book was more focused on gender roles and sexism. This is probably why the racism aspect faded into a background object that surfaced every so often as more of an observation than a theme. I think that this is another aspect that sets this book apart from others like it, requiring a little deeper thought to determine the meaning of such things. Once again, I agree with both your analysis and sparknotes, as the layered themes and meanings are what makes this book so exceptional. Great post Cole!