Thursday, July 07, 2016

Death of a Salesman - Kennedy

While reading a book with complex and profound themes, I often find it helpful to see how the book is interpreted by someone with a different perspective. Other opinions and interpretations give me insight into elements of the book I had missed and clarify things I had misunderstood. There are many ways to become exposed to other interpretations of a book, such as discussing it with a friend or reading a book review. The resource I use for this the most often is SparkNotes, both because of its convenience and reliability. SparkNotes was especially helpful to me while reading and analyzing the themes of Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller.

One thing I would have completely missed without reading SparkNotes’ analysis was the play on words incorporated into the characters’ names. Willy Loman is literally a low man because he is not important to the world around him and has little wealth or belongings to leave to his family. SparkNotes also goes on to say, “While Willy and Happy willfully and happily delude themselves, Biff bristles stiffly at self-deception.” Although this is not a connection I would have drawn on my own while reading, it is an interesting observation and makes me wonder if Miller put other hidden meanings into names of the characters in Death of a Salesman.

Throughout the play Willy is shown to be obsessed with the past and be unwilling to accept his failures. SparkNotes touches on this, but I feel that they do not place enough emphasis on Will’s broken mental state. He would rather live in the past with delusions and hallucinations than accept that he has failed, both professionally and in raising his children. However, SparkNotes did do a good job analyzing Willy’s suicide and thought of it in a different light than I had. I had interpreted it as done in the shame of not being able to give anything to his sons after he had died and highlighted his inability to give up on his twisted view of the American Dream by believing his sons were destined to be great. SparkNotes, alternatively, describes the suicide as “a final skewed ambition to realize his full commercial and material capacity” and that Willy “achieves a professional understanding of himself and the fundamental nature of the sales profession.” It was interesting to see a different interpretation of Willy’s character development, and I think that both are plausible.

There are many recurring symbols throughout Death of a Salesman, and SparkNotes does a good job of explaining their meaning and significance. Seeds are used often throughout the play to represent a way for Willy to “prove the worth of his labor, both as a salesman and a father” (SparkNotes). The seeds act as analogy to Willy raising his sons, and the fact that seeds will no longer grow in the yard parallels how Willy’s sons no longer listen to him and how it is too late for him to parent and nurture them. However, SparkNotes also describes Willy’s attempt to plant seeds as signifying “his shame about barely being able to put food on the table and having nothing to leave his children when he passes.” This added another layer to the symbolism that I had not recognized at first. One symbol that I felt was left out by SparkNotes was the flute. Willy’s father was a flute maker, and the flute music is used as a motif throughout the play primarily when Willy is lost in the past or hallucinating. Also, the music and tempo of the flute shows Willy’s mood or the feelings he has associated with the memory he is seeing. The flute is an important aspect of Death of a Salesman and I felt it should have been including in SparkNotes’s analysis of the play.


Overall, SparkNotes does a good job analyzing the main themes, symbolism, and character traits in Death of a Salesman. I think that it is a very helpful tool to use while reading, both for Death of a Salesman and for other literary works, but it should not be used in the place of actually reading the book. Also, while it does give another perspective, it is not as effective as discussing the book with a friend or peer. The best way to be exposed to a multitude of diverse opinions is with a classroom discussion or debate, but SparkNotes is a good substitute when lacking the time or ability to do this.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brendan, I found the honesty in your response to be admirable, and your analysis of the themes and characters, in addition to Sparknotes opinions, to be helpful with my understanding of the play. I appreciate how you at times disagreed with the conclusions that Sparknotes reached in terms of the theme or character trait. I agree that the mental state of Willy Loman is essential to the progression of the plot and the ultimate tragic ending of the play. Emphasis should be placed on this, as it is necessary to understanding Willy’s motivation in his life in terms of his future goals and relationships with those around him. Additionally, your belief that “ It was interesting to see a different interpretation of Willy’s character development, and I think that both are plausible” is important to acknowledge. In many cases, the opinions of sources such as Sparknotes are interpreted to be the only “correct” answer. However, you raise an critical point in that the final interpretation of the play is ultimately left up to the reader, and no one interpretation is the only correct viewpoint.
While reading the play, I formed an opinion on the characters of Loman and his sons that was in concordance with the interpretation that Sparknotes had. However, Sparknotes statement saying that“While Willy and Happy willfully and happily delude themselves, Biff bristles stiffly at self-deception.” as found in your response introduced an important part of the characterization that I had overlooked. The literal names Willy, Biff, and Happy offer insight into the character’s personality and motivation, which I failed to notice while reading the play.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hey there Mr. Kennedy, our peers seem to fit the build, if you will, for this class. You, like them, do not disappoint. Your work is comprehensible, full of intriguing ideas, and a joy to read. It'll be fun to share a classroom with the likes of you! Anyways, I personally was very touched by this book, and it seems like you had a great takeaway from the book, too.

I also appreciated the supplemental info from SparkNotes and your extraction of it from the site. I giggled after I read the wordplay section with the characters' names, it was cool and really "clicked." I agree with you about the shortages of content in Spark, the dearth of emphasis on Willy's dilapidated will is rather odd. Something I find rather infuriating is the knowledge we hold of our lack of knowledge. We will never fully be able to access Miller's thoughts or fully understand his intentions in his works. We surely cannot sit down for a Q and A with an imaginary character like Biff. So as I said, I'm glad you mentioned other hidden meanings in character names.

On Willy's suicide, you served as a wealth of perspective as opposed to SparkNotes. They shared my thoughts that it was simply a matter of reaching a final monetary value to contribute to his posterity. You saw that his sorrow might've been what pushed him moreso over the edge. That's a very interesting thought, the type I actually enjoy conversing about.

Anonymous said...

Death of a Salesman was one of the book’s that I read, and I have glanced over the spark notes. One good point that you made, in my opinion, is the play on words that was used with their name’s. While I read the book I had realized that Biff was typically very stiff whenever around Willy, and always seemed angry. As well as, Happy seemed to be always cheerful and constantly tried to convince Biff to just let Willy say whatever he wanted, and just move on. However, I had completely missed the fact that Happy was also willing to accept deceit as truth in his life saying he was in a leadership position when in reality he was still low on the totem pole. Lastly, Willy Loman completely flew over my head. I never once realized he basically willingly accepted being a low man eventually leading to his death. I am glad that you discussed the American dream being a part of his suicide, because I think that it was very important, but could be easily missed. Willy’s suicide wasn’t because he was poor, but more because he saw himself and his sons as a failure despite them meeting his made up requirements of the American dream. Bernard highlighted this especially because he was seen as a failure to Willy, but still achieved great things. The fact that Bernard had a case heard in front of the Supreme Court may have been the last straw for Willy.