Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Week 1 Running With Scissors- Madison Deiter


One book that has had a lasting impact on me was Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. I read this last year in AP Lang as one of the memoirs of choice. This memoir showed the struggles of LGBT teens and how easily they can be taken advantage of. However, there were other aspects to this memoir where I did connect to. Having a mentally ill mother is something that Burroughs and I have in common. Burrough's mother was always in and out of his life unexpectedly and he had to grow up really fast as did I. Currently I do not have a relationship with my mom and I haven't encountered anyone else in my particular situation. That's why Running With Scissors made me feel like my situation wasn't uncommon and it made me feel less alone. Burrough's struggles with sexuality brought out feelings of depression and loneliness and I have suffered from depression and I know exactly what loneliness feels like even if you are surrounded with people who love you. I really enjoyed reading this book and it made me realize how much I appreciate memoirs and how sharing your story can help so many others like it did to me.

No comments: